Sunday 15 May 2011

Requiem to The FA Cup

I'll make no apologies for going 'off subject' with this post.  There's been much debate over the last week or so regarding the arrangements for this years FA Cup being impacted on by the European Cup Final being played at Wembley.

There are Lot's of things about the modern game (pretty much since Rupert Murdoch put his oar in) that don't appeal to me.  One of the biggest bugbears over recent years is the continual sterilisation of the FA Cup.  I was (probably) over indignant when I realised a near full Premiership programme was being played on the same day this year, along with some first leg play off semi finals.  I really cannot see why all of these games could not be played today to give the FA Cup the exclusivity I think it still deserves.

Ironically yesterdays final was one of the most interesting pairings in the final showdown for years. Man City looking for that pivotal win that most believe will be the moment they really kick on, and Stoke City, always controversial in the way they play the game - and capable on any given day, of turning over the big sides.

The last truly decent final was when Liverpool mugged West Ham in a six goal thriller.

When I was a kid Cup Final day was a great event. My Dad would disappear off somewhere to watch it, and return very drunk and very late. My Mum would take me and my brother to the Co Op to choose a variety of treats to eat and drink whilst watching the build up.  The first I really remember was the 1979 Arsenal v's Man Utd final, with fantastic final three minutes seeing Man Utd coming from two down only for Alan Sunderland to snatch a last gasp winner, and then swear on live TV. (And there was no fuss back then).

I think what sums up the current unimportance of this great competition was a text my best friend sent to me yesterday.  "Sign of the times when I asked my boys about today's final they all shrugged their shoulders and said they don't care. ITS THE FA CUP FINAL FOR CHRIST SAKES. Crisps fizzy pop and beer! But they would rather go out and play on their bikes - these are indeed dark times" Okay, a bit melodramatic, but I think it articulates where this great British institution has gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment