Wednesday 27 July 2011

Charlton win the 'Peoples Cup'


Charlton 1 Den Bosch 0
So my first sojourn to The Valley this season not only ended with a Charlton win, (something I’d forgotten after that awful finale/second half of last season) and some silver/tin ware.
It was strangely reminiscent of the Selhurst years, sitting there as part of a three and odd thousand crowd.
The Den Bosch away support was nice and noisy and from what I could see generally good natured. Their drummers and constant chanting bringing some much needed noise and atmosphere to proceedings.
Now down to the serious bit.  What were my first impressions of the new look Charlton. For a friendly, there was certainly some endeavour throughout the side. And Sir Chris didn’t make many changes, and those were not until quite late in the game – so I’m guessing it’s pretty much what Powell has in mind for the Bournemouth game.
Elliot was his usual reliable self.  Pulled off a couple of great shot stopping saves but was rarely tested with crosses.
The back four looked okay.  It will take a while for Morrison and Taylor to really forge a solid partnership, Solly looked safe, my only worry was the performance by Wiggins. On a couple of occasions I wasn’t sure whether he lost concentration or was out of his depth, but his positioning a times when facing an attacker was a tad suspect.
I got what I expected from Jackson, he hit the bar with a cracking shot. Danny Green, who looks a bit like a hairdresser to me, was full of running and despite a few of his crosses going astray did get plenty of balls into the box. Bit early to tell about Holland’s and Stephens. Of the two I was more impressed with Holland’s and did not really notice Stephens in the game too much.
The biggest worry would be the forwards. BWP will always pop up with a goal despite his work rate. Hayes looked like a more physically solid Benson, but without the running. We really need another striker to put those three under a bit of competition.
The two subs, Pritchard and Bover really impressed me when they came on. Bover typically Spanish. He gets the ball and then runs straight towards goal, not afraid of trying a pass or shooting.  Pritchard looked equally eager to take his opportunity, marking, tackling and running into attacking positions with verve.
All in all it looks like a work in progress, but a good work in progress. I’m looking forward to Millwall on Saturday (except for the fact I’ll be in the home end with my Millwall season ticket holding friend) and another good test for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment