Tuesday 5 July 2011

A matter of opinion?

What with the arrival of Taylor, Pope and the new young spanish midfielder Ruben Bover Izquierdo (I know he's only a development player at the moment, but could you imagine the problems his name would present the North stand when it comes to composing a chant if he does break through?) we've now signed an amazing 12 players and as far as I can gather 3 have departed. (Anysiah, Reid and Racon).

This along with Dailly, Semedo and Llera not being included in pre season training would make six outgoing. The rumours are that Francis and Jackson may well be about to be sold, so perhaps another two of the old guard going?

It's all very confusing, and I have to admit quite exciting.

I can't remember a time of such wholesale change in the playing staff at the club.

The numbers of the new players are made up as follows:-

Goalkeepers, 2
Defenders, 3
Midfielders, 6
Attackers, 1

Those i'm assuming are definatley staying are (from the back) Solly, Mambo, McCormack, Harriot, BWP and Benson. This doesn't include other fringe and development players such as Warren, Cousins etc.

I'm also expecting at least a couple more defensive signings and perhaps one more forward.

Exhausting trying to keep your head around it all.

As a relative virgin to blogging, I know that the idea is generally to get your own opinions and points of view out to a larger and relevant audience, but I thought i'd ask the question of anyone who might take a look at this post.  Of the squad in it's current state.  Which players would you consider shoe in's for the opening game against Bournmouth ? The defence and strikers are currently dictated by the numbers, so should not be too difficult to predict but the plethora of midfielders leave me baffled. Am assuming Hollands will definatley start, but which others?

3 comments:

  1. Hollands, Green, Wiggins and Taylor would be definite in my opinion. Likely Paul Hayes will partner BWP up front. I guess the pre-season games will reveal more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention Wagstaff or Doherty! My current first-choice eleven from contracted players would be: Elliot, Solly, Taylor, Doherty, Wiggins, Green, Hollands, Stephens, Jackson, Hayes, and BWP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did forget Wagstaff, I omitted Doherty. I'm kind of hopeful and half expecting his exit soonish. When you look at your eleven starters, it does look pretty formidable. I'm wondering whether Benson will get the nod initially over Hayes due to his past sucess of playing with Green?

    ReplyDelete