Tuesday 20 September 2011

John Sheridan, StAndrews, Peter Shirtliffe and all that...

Having just read how much Chesterfield's John Sheridan is relishing their visit to the Valley at the weekend, I nostalgically had a flash back to the other extraordinary play off final that Charlton took part in.

I'd attended the home leg at Selhurst, Charlton running out 1-0 winners courtesy of I think a Jimmy Melrose goal and had suffered the reverse scoreline in the game at Elland Road.  Being still in it's infancy, the play off system was not to be decided by penalties but by a third game at neutral ground StAndrews.

Although during this period of supporting Charlton I did attend a few away games, being a 'school' night meant I was not going to be able to make it up to Birmingham.

The game was being covered live on the radio and extended highlights were being shown on midweek sports special.  Desperate to enjoy watching the action I opted to wait to watch the TV coverage and hide in my room staying away from any knowledge of the score. (I remember how hard it was to curb my curiosity).

Once I knew it was safe, and the programme was about to start I took my place downstairs alongside my (poker faced) Dad, who had listened in on the radio to enjoy the roller coaster ride that the game turned out to be.

The match during  normal time was both nervy and pretty scrappy from memory.  My enduring memory was ex Charlton striker John Pearson copping a cheeky knee in the head from former Owls and Charlton team mate Peter Shirtliffe.

Extra time came and I was a very nervous teenager.  And on 99 minutes my nerves proved to be well founded as John Sheridan scored a cheeky quick chipped free kick against a sleeping Charlton defence and goalkeeper, and then, much to my annoyance celebrated like a mad man.

I was slumped in the living room chair, convinced that our short stay in England's top flight was over, with only minutes remaining on the clock.  Then Peter Shirtliffe popped up and scored an equaliser, prompting me to jump around the front room like a bit of a loon.  About three minutes later it was all I could do not to explode when from a very similar set piece he popped up again to scramble in the late winner.

I remember, once I'd regained my composure and full time had come, watching the exhausted players celebrating, whilst Steve Gritt did some really strange high knee slow celebratory jog up and down at the half way line in front of the Charlton supporters.

It's certainly never been dull being an Addick.  Mind you, I'd happily plump for the quiet life of a top two finish secured with a few games to spare this season than another play off thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment